Today’s leader has so much vying for their time. Office politics, email, employee conflicts just to name a few. As a leader in Corporate America for 12 years, and facilitating inclusive leadership in classrooms and on stages for nearly a decade, I know that leaders want to be better, yet often do not have the time or resources to learn and grow.
Inclusive leaders stand out because they are self-aware, they are vulnerable, and they demonstrate empathy for others that are different than themselves. I prioritized and weighed the top attributes of inclusive leaders and found these to be true:
- Self-Awareness – I know who I am and who I am not. I admit mistakes. I have a strong personal why for diversity and inclusive.
- Self-Management – I manage my emotions. I influence the emotions of others. I show up consistently as a caring person to others.
- Comfort with Discomfort – I do not run from conflict. I like tough conversations. I give others the tools to be their best selves.
- Your Ally Role – I stay in my lane. I mentor. I coach. I advocate for others that are underrepresented.
- Space for Others – I let others solve their own problems. I embrace change. I create space for others to grow.
- Your Diversity Story – I know why diversity matters to me and others. I share my story. I facilitate positive change with my story.
- Leadership Style – I know my style. I know my weaknesses. I know my strengths.
- Unconscious Bias – I check my bias consistently. I manage bias of others. I call out bad behavior.
- Gender – I understand gender bias. I know the gender spectrum. I value gender equality.
- Race – I am conscious of systems that support racial bias. I know my role in the system of racism. I seek to understand the experiences of people of color.
- LGBTQ+ – I celebrate gay rights more than pride month. I use the term “partner.” I openly encourage people to bring their full selves to work.
- Sustainable Systems – I set goals for diversity and inclusion. I hold myself accountable for being more inclusive. I consistently talk about diversity and inclusion with my team.
Want your managers to behave more like this? Very few do today.
That is why I developed the Lead Like an Ally program.
The Lead Like an Ally program is a 12-month inclusive leadership program designed to guide managers with tools, strategies, and techniques to be more inclusive. With no more than one hour a month time commitment, it meets leaders where they are at on their ally journey in a safe, comfortable virtual learning environment with workbook exercises to apply learning real-time.
As a special offer for completing the assessment, I am offering a complimentary 30-day preview of the Lead Like an Ally program. Simply reply, with “start my preview” and we will get you set up.
Want to learn more before starting the preview?
- Schedule time with me to walk you through the program and answer all of your questions at www.calendly.com/nextpivotpoint
- Watch my two-minute video overview at https://youtu.be/SMaE-E6f5kk
- Pre-order the Lead Like an Ally book at https://www.amazon.com/Lead-Like-Ally-Strategies-Facilitate/dp/1642797170/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=lead+like+an+ally&qid=1565792754&s=gateway&sr=8-3
- Learn more about the program at www.nextpivotpoint.com/lead-like-an-ally