Gen Z believes diversity and inclusion is a non-negotiable – here are 3 diversity statistics you need to know when hiring Gen Z
Gen Z believes diversity and inclusion is a non-negotiable. In fact, they are likey to base their decision on where to work based on diversity and inclusion. Be prepared for them to ask you about diverse representation, diversity and inclusion goals and metrics, and the strategy to improve diversity and inclusion.
The newest generation entering the workforce, known as Gen Z (born ~ 1997 to 2012) is more likely than past generations to shape the workplace versus comply with the current workplace standards. Due to ongoing labor shortages, baby boomers retiring along with lower birth rates puts Gen Z sits in a unique position to redefine workplace culture.
Gen Z has an unwavering commitment to diversity. They are well known for valuing diversity and inclusivity. Did you know that…
- 83% said that a company’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is important when choosing an employer
- 74% have taken some form of action in the past year to support social and political causes
- 31% identify as LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or other gender identities or sexual orientations)
- 48% are from racially and ethnically diverse backgrounds (non-white)
Gen Z also values authenticity and is quick to point out problematic one-and-done check-the-box diversity and inclusion approaches. For them, inclusion is embedded in the culture and foundational to how decisions are made.
Statistics to know to attract Gen Z
When hiring new employees, it’s essential to consider diversity and inclusion to not only attract top Gen Z talent, but retain them. Here are three diversity statistics leaders should have ready when talking with Gen Z….
At Next Pivot Point we have lots of resources to help you facilitate successful diversity and inclusion initiatives. Schedule some time with our team today to discuss where to start or how to do better. You can also check out:
- Our available workshop topics for developing inclusive leaders.
- Our Train the Trainer programs for scalability within your organization
- Our Right-Sized DEI micro-content packages for consistent small-drip content throughout the year.